The Old Bald Man :)
Phil is 5' 7", in his mid 50’s, with hazel eyes & dark brown hair (what’s left of it!). He wears glasses because he is myopic (short-sighted) but refuses to wear contact lenses.
He’s enjoying being “grandad” when he gets the chance to visit (thanks Covid!) and considers himself reasonably experienced in this field with six children & five grandchildren (the last time he counted).
Phil is a founder of (Ashbysoft *), and when he’s not playing with the kids, he can usually be found playing with his computer, having a technical discussion with Stuart or trying to organise a night out with his lovely wife Angela.
Phil was also a technical architect for GB Group, looking after the design of their services. He is now happily retired!
More recently (ok - in 2003) Phil joined the 4 Or More large family website, and was hosting their forum on this server. 4 Or More have now mostly moved away to Facebook, their original forum is now an archive hereabouts.
You can also find Phil on
Phil finds writing about himself in 3rd person rather odd :)
I do stuff, in particular:
- contribute to Open Source Software, I’m especially pleased that I now have code in the Github Arctic Code Vault :)
- Funcube: I’m a developer on this combined amateur radio / educational satellite development team - five launched, others in the pipeline..
- I’m a qualified radio amateur (callsigns M6IPX, 2E0IPX), interested in VLF communications (sub 100kHz), software defined radio and toys :)
- I take stuff apart, then sometimes blog about it here, frequently before I’ve used it!
- Give presentations about my hobbies and work experience.
- Amateur genealogy, researching my own family tree with a friend who is semi-professional. It’s amazing what you discover - who would have though I was descended from a long line of east-end chimney sweeps? Aye- aye me ol' china!
- Music: mostly guitar or electric bass for the church music group but Stuart & I have previously been gigging musos.
- Sailing: these days I’m the regular crew on a friends 10m yacht, with lots of river crusing, and occasional trips across the North Sea.
If you like what I do, please feel free to buy me a beer!